Labels in front of bars

Welcome to our Forums Technical Support Getting Started Labels in front of bars

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    daniel heise
    Participant

Dear all,

I´ve created nice stacked bar diagrams, three bars with two portions each. Now I want to add information about the percentage of the two portions of each bar.

Adding six text labels with the percentages to the diagram is no problem. But I cant move these labels in front of the bars, they always disappear behind the bars.

Is there any posibility to get these text labes in front of the bars?

dgteam

You can think of each command as a drawing layer.  The layers are drawn in the order they are listed.  It sounds like this is the problem, that you need to change the order of the commands.

Here’s a short video we did to demonstrate:
        https://youtu.be/RgXSnXiGuQY

That said, the commands have a lot of built-in options for adding labels.  If you are using the Bars command for example, you can specify a column to use for the label for each segment. If you want to Percent, you could calculate that with an expression column and use that for the label. Here is an example:

Bars

If you are using the Pivot command, there is a stacked % option, so you don’t need to calculate in the table, it does the calculations for you.

Does this help?

daniel heise
        Participant

Dear DG Team,

changing the order of commands solved the problem – many thanks!

As I suspect that Pivot Plots contain many useful features, I already made countless attempts to understand them. However, although I am an active university teacher and have read the “explanations” countless times, my intelligence is obviously not sufficient to apply this type of charts. Reading the word “Pivot” just drives me nuts 🙂

dgteam

You are definitely not alone!

If you want to try it out, I would suggest spending a little time with the Pivot command help article.  We have several simple examples, including a couple of short video clips (scroll down a bit to view these) in the Quick Create section.

In DataGraph, the Pivot command does more than the standard Pivot in Excel for example. You can use with just one, two, or three columns.  It can give counts on categorical or numerical data or calculate statistics across a group of data.

If you’re really feeling brave, we did a webinar on the Pivot command last fall.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SlNfuIAHyo

Anyway, it can be a very useful tool for data processing, but not for everyone!

daniel heise
            Participant

Can you recommend a kind of simple (!) tutorial about these secret Pivot thing, suitable for really dummies? The manual doesn´t help me, maybe because I´m not a native english speaker…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to our Forums Technical Support Getting Started Labels in front of bars