Ternary plots

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jmallen
    Participant

Could you please consider adding ternary plots to Datagraph.

They are used a lot in geology. Thanks.

sandrift
      Participant

As a geologist, I use ternary diagrams quite a bit — there is an example ternary plot in the Online Examples (File > Online Examples…) that can be found quickly by using the Search box and typing “ternary”.   Enjoy!

unrgeo
        Participant

I use ternary plots all the time as a geologist too.  I would like to see the ability to have a 4th variable to use as a bubble (like a bubble cross plot) and the ability to add contours and heat maps to the plot.  Very usefull.

dgteam

Yes – we have a Ternary template but it is a bit simple.

There is a way to use the Scalar field command (in the beta) to add heat map.  We will work on uploading some additional examples.

If anyone can point us to a dataset in your field that we could use for some better examples, that would be very helpful (or email us example data help@visualdatatools.com).   Or post a screen shot of something you are trying to create.

unrgeo
            Participant

Thank you for the information.  I’ll look around for a dataset that I can send that will be helpful.

thomas fairhurst
              Participant

Further to my previous post, here is my ternary graph attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v0c7g43vjmxp06t/AAD-CPr-K88BOglINUUYCeyra?dl=0

thomas fairhurst
                Participant

My key problems with the ternary plot are as follows:

1. How to reverse the X, Y and Z axes. Ideally the axes would be labelled with tick marks and the labels would be whole numbers.

2. How to plot vector lines to show borders between soil texture classes, as per the attached example? I have entered the values by I cant plot them until I have reversed the axes.

I made this ternary graph with Sigmaplot. The vector lines are plotted.

Ternary texture plot

Any assistance gratefully received.

Cheers,

Thomas

unrgeo
                  Participant

Thomas, I think the simplest way to re-arrange the X, Y, Z axis is to actually rearrange the data columns such that the calculated x,y plotting points reflect the plot you are looking to create.  I would think the axis ticks would remain as you have shown, if that is what you are asking about. The polygons/lines I think would plot as you have them if you only change the  order of the data – I think.

Below is an example of ternary plot I created and have used. I have a fourth variable I use to vary the marker size.

screenshot_182

Hope this helps.

Best,

David

thomas fairhurst
                    Participant

I sent my ‘first attempt at a soil texture ternary plot to Datagraph help people and they sent back a file that does the job perfectly.

I may also add shading to show preferred soil texture classes for the crop that I’m interested in.

Great support from Datagraph!

Texture Map

sandrift
                      Participant

DG team: Could this plot be added to the online examples?  Or could the example file be linked here?  Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.